First Holiday

We’re on holiday, our first one ever, with our daughter

…and we’ve forgotten half the things we need!

We’ve come to Centre Parcs, the one closest to us which is only 45 minutes from home, and it’s perfect for a first holiday. A tester, if you will, of our capabilities as new parents taking a little one on holiday. And so far so good. We arrived and started with a walk to the village square to have a late lunch where we sat and ate panini’s and cookies, which went down a treat then had a meander back to our posh, 2 story villa with its 2 en suites and spa bubbly bath.

We got settled in and let Pickle help us set up her cot and then she busied herself unpacking all her nappies and “putting them away” (aka unfolding each one and then chucking them on the shelf) We’ve bought a ridiculous amount of stuff with us, even having forgotten some bits and bobs, but I actually think it’s really helped. Her cot, the travel one that’s hers for the week, looks like it does at home and she helped put (throw) all her teddies in ready for the first night. She even lobbed a couple of books in to boot for a bit of morning reading. (Always impressed with my daughters ability to know exactly what she wants at 22 months old)

We then ran her a bath which we put bubble bath in and proceeded to turn the spa bubbles on which escalated in to a half hour bubble fest with us laughing our heads off and Pickle slowly being swamped by the most amount of bubbles I have ever seen. It did the trick though. It relaxed her and, once we put her in the cot, she was asleep within moments. We were amazed.

It’s the first ever night she’s had away from home since she moved in 7 months ago. 3 days in and everything is going swimmingly. We’ve kept her, quite rigidly, in her routine which has been nice for us too as we’ve had an afternoon siesta every day. She seems to have coped incredibly well with being somewhere other than home and I’m hoping that’s because she feels safe and sound with us, Mum and Dad.

We’ve been swimming, bike riding with her in a buggy attached to the back which she looked ├╝ber cute in eating her snacks and wrapped in her quilt. She’s walked loads, which has exhausted her but she’s loved it and we’ve eaten out a few times at different places.

But she’s also been ill. She woke on the second day from her afternoon nap a lot later than usual and she was on fire. Her whole body was baking and she was very floppy…but not distressed or out of it. We quickly realised it was teething and brought her in to our room and allowed her to watch CBBies in bed in her nappy to try and cool down. She then got shivery and had to snuggle then she got hot again and lay herself down on the cool duvet. It was horrid to witness. But she coped so well and was so brave. We dosed her up, she drank 3 bottles of cold milk and stayed on our bed with us for 2 hours. It wasn’t long before she was back in bed but she slept all night, waking occasionally but not distressed, and then we all got up at the normal time.

Our daughter is a coper. She never ceases to amaze me at how brave she is and how well she copes with change. We haven’t change her routine but it’s a big thing for her to not be at home. I’m simultaneously proud of her and a bit anxious for her as I want her to know that where she lives now is home. But I’m optomistic that because we’re still with her she realises that we’re here for her, forever.

For her, I hope, home now is where we are.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.